Thursday, August 2, 2012

What should you do if a loved one goes missing?

File a missing persons report with law enforcement. Be sure to share key information including a photograph of the person, circumstances of the disappearance, identifying characteristics such as height and weight, what the person was wearing, and the person’s cell phone information.

There is no waiting period to file a missing person report, even if the missing person is an adult. 
According to the state Office of the Victim Advocate, it is “essential to a successful recovery of a missing person that evidence, DNA, videos (from stores, parking lots, etc..) are captured in the first 24 hours after a person has gone missing.”

Family and friends know an individual’s habits and behavior. If you believe something is wrong, contact authorities to file a missing person report.

Be sure to get the contact information for the officer who speaks with you. Follow up with that person to find out what is going on with the investigation.

Enter the missing person on the U.S. Department of Justice’s National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, or NamUs, at

Spread the word and gain support from others in the same situation by visiting and posting on the Facebook site, MissinginCT. 

For additional advice or help, contact the state Office of the Victim Advocate at 860-550-6632. 

Labels: , ,


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home